I used to never say the F-word. I didn’t engage in the F-word.
I’m a mom, moms don’t do that sort of thing...
No, I’m not talking about THAT F-word.
I’m talking about FUN. As a mom, fun was something that I just didn’t have time for.
I was always running to practices, school events, work - I was always running (but never seemed to lose weight).
Wondering if you have an F-Word problem?
- Do you feel like you’re always running late?
- Are you known as the ‘mean’ parent?
- Do you find yourself yelling more than talking?
- Do you say (or yell) phrases like ‘why is no one listening to me?’ and ‘I’m going to count to 3 and by then you’d better be ...insert directive’
If you answered yes to any of those questions, you might have a fun problem as well. Here is how I put the fun back in my life
- Take it Easy: You need to laugh off the little stuff. Is it that serious if you’re 10 minutes late? Will the world end if your youngest can’t find their sock? Probably not. I wrote a blog about how real the struggle is being a mom (check it out here) and gave some great tips on how to make it out alive.
- Take Time for You: You have to put your O2 mask on before you help others in the event of an emergency. Take time to take care of yourself, spoil yourself (a little) and be mindful of your health. I wrote an article on how to practice retail self-care. You can read more about that here.
- Be Silly: When was the last time you played a practical joke on your kids? Surprised them at school? Had dessert for dinner? If you never have or it’s been a long time, revisit that. You want your family to enjoy you, not dread you.
- Above all Else, LAUGH and be Present: It’s hard, I know. I work full-time, volunteer with rescue animals, have a husband, two kids, and two dogs. I also broke two of my toes recently, I have a lot going on! It’s hard to stop and giggle at the nonsense but I assure you, your kids are watching. They are learning how you cope and interact with the world. Are you always on your phone? Are you really listening to their story about Minecraft? It’s hard, but try it. You’ll be happy you did.
Don’t take life too seriously. Before you know it, your littles will be off to college. Enjoy them now, while they're here!
About the Author: Kimmie is one of the 7 Charming Sisters. She is the ‘Life of the Party’ sister and is easily distracted by shiny things. See some of her favorite shiny things here. She lives in Virginia with her husband, sons, and two dogs. She enjoys eating, drinking wine, working with rescue dogs, and wearing leggings and sweatpants.